Graham Toal wrote:
> steven mestdagh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
>
>> On Fri, Oct 14, 2005 at 03:11:59PM -0500, Graham Toal wrote:
>> > For anyone who is interested, I've written up a document on
>> > how to install OpenBSD, configure it as a transparent bridge,
>> > then install spamd on it.  It was written primarily for our
>> > campus computer center who want to know how to do it if something
>> > happens to me (like I get a better job elsewhere for example ;-) )
>> > but I think I've written it generally enough that it will be
>> > of use to anyone.
>> >
>> > The page is here:
>> > http://wiki.utpa.edu/InfoSec/GreyListingInstall?action=print
>>
>> Some quick feedback...
>> You write (allow me to turn off caps):
>>
>> > The disk formatting is a major pain.
>>
>> Why?
>
> I don't know why, I just know that both myself (experienced in BSD and BSDI
> from days gone by, and linux in recent years, but not OpenBSD at all)

we see that.

> plus a colleague at work who has a fair bit of OpenBSD experience both
> have wasted literally days with formatting problems.  So having found
> a working recipe that seems easy, I thought it was worth pointing out
> to folks that if you do something else, you might hit the hassles we
> did.  I had tried to reuse an old partition table and failed even though
> it sure looked OK to me - the install program wouldn't progress past
> the formatting section; my friend had problems when he formatted the
> swap partition before the data partition.

<SNIP>
Oh.
My.
Gawd.

This disk layout section is so wrong.  Your explaination of problems are
wrong (hint: you don't format the swap partition at all!).

There's nothing here to even correct.  Your almost every step is just
plain WRONG.  You have successfully designed a system that some
platforms won't even boot, and you have defeated a lot of OpenBSD
security.  Your "working recipe" is a disaster.  I can't make myself
read further.

Stop.
You clearly have no idea what you are doing.
If you have something that works for you, fine, go ahead, use it.
PLEASE DO NOT ATTEMPT TO GUIDE PEOPLE UNTIL YOU UNDERSTAND WHAT THE HECK
YOU ARE DOING, UNTIL YOU HAVE READ (and understood) THE EXISTING
DOCUMENTATION.  I fear what will happen if people follow your advice.
Good documentation for what you are trying to "help" people with exists,
you are leading them into very unhappy directions.

Writing crap like this and pretending to help people makes you into a
menace.  Please stop.

Nick.