Now that the IPv4 address space if fully allocated, perhaps it's time to
update the comments in /etc/hosts ? Here is my attempt at a reasonably concise
update:

# Assignments from RFC5735 (supersedes RFC1918)
#
# Allocated for use as the Internet host loopback address:
#   127.0.0.0/8
#
# Allocated for communication between hosts on a single link. Hosts obtain
# these addresses by auto-configuration (in the absence of DHCP):
#   169.254.0.0/16
#
# Addresses within these blocks do not legitimately appear on the public
Internet
# and can be used without any coordination with IANA or an Internet registry:
#   10.0.0.0/8      private networks
#   172.16.0.0/12   private networks
#   192.168.0.0/16  private networks
#   192.0.2.0/24    documentation/examples
#   198.51.100.0/24 documentation/examples
#   203.0.113.0/24  documentation/examples
#   198.18.0.0/15   benchmark interconnect testing
#
# Full assignments details are available here:
# http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv4-address-space/ipv4-address-space.txt
#

More contentiously, this is an IPv6 counterpart:

# Allocated for use as the Internet host loopback address:
#   ::1/128
#
# Allocated special purpose address blocks:
#   fe80::/10      Link local addresses (auto-configured)
#   fc00::/7       Unique local address (private networks)
#   2001:db8::/32  documentation/examples
#   2001:2::/48    benchmark interconnect testing
#
# Full assignments details are available here:
#
http://www.iana.org/assignments/ipv6-unicast-address-assignments/ipv6-unicast
-address-assignments.txt

Note that I interpret the aim of these comments as an aide-memoire, rather
than a tutorial on IP addressing schemes, so it's intentionally brief.

/Pete