Michael Frost wrote:

> I wonder if the Cyrix Cx5530 IDE is not supported by OpenBSD v3.8/i386.
> I'm a newbie to OpenBSD and therefore would like to post my dmesg, maybe
> somebody is able to clear the thing up and give me some advice howto
> support DMA modus for my 2,5'' harddisk:

2.5"?  This a laptop?  What is this thing?

Step one: provide dmesg.  Done!

> OpenBSD 3.8-current (GENERIC) #179: Thu Oct 6 11:32:36 MDT 2005

step two: try -current.  done. :)
good problem reporting.  Gotta at least look.
(we complain when people make bad problem reports, but really, it just
gives us excuses to ignore you and make fun of you)

> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
> cpu0: Geode(TM) Integrated Processor by National Semi ("CyrixInstead"
> 586-class) 301 MHz
> cpu0: FPU,TSC,MSR,CX8,CMOV,MMX
> cpu0: TSC disabled
> real mem = 132227072 (129128K)
> avail mem = 114065408 (111392K)

hm.  looks like a lot of RAM for a laptop of that vintage...
> pciide0 at pci0 dev 18 function 2 "Cyrix Cx5530 IDE" rev 0x00: no DMA,
> channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to compatibility
> pciide0: channel 0 ignored (not responding; disabled or no drives?)
> pciide0: channel 1 ignored (other hardware responding at addresses)

whoa.  I've seen this before...
What is this thing?  (oops, I asked that already)
(and why can't I recall my AP's IP address?  AH, there it is...)

wow, the machine I was looking for gives very similar error:
pciide0 at pci0 dev 18 function 2 "Cyrix Cx5530 IDE" rev 0x00: no DMA,
channel 0 wired to compatibility, channel 1 wired to c
ompatibility
pciide0: channel 0 ignored (other hardware responding at addresses)
pciide0: channel 1 ignored (not responding; disabled or no drives?)

Notice the curious inversion from your system...

This machine I have was intended to be a small mainframe terminal --
running QNX, X, and some terminal emulator, with an SNA card in it.  It
originally booted from a 16M or 8M disk-on-module chip (not supported by
OpenBSD).  I had presumed the DOM chip was the reason for the pciide
problems, but maybe there is more to it than that.

Anyway...your machine is very similar to mine, though mine is a 233MHz
machine.  Whatever you are looking for UDMA for...don't.  1) the machine
isn't likely to provide it, a little googling seems to indicate that
lots of issues exist with this on other OSs, too.  2) Even if it did,
you will find the pathetic disk performance the least of your problems.

This thing was designed for low power consumption, not speed.  If you
are worried about disk performance, you have the wrong box for a lot of
other reasons.  Something is going wrong with the PCIIDE support, so it
falls back to wdc(4), which is completely non-DMA.  I slapped an IDE
drive in mine at one point, did a make build on it...it was glacial.
Never seen something that ran that slowly that claimed a three digit
clock speed.

However, stuck a wi(4) card in it, and it makes a great AP with authpf
keeping the riff-raff out, booting from a Compact Flash module now.  I
thought about stuffing a dc(4) quad-NIC in it and using it as my main
firewall, but never got around to it (and really, I prefer faster
machines for firewalls, mostly due to the ssh login time. :).

Nick.