On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 11:37:08PM -0300, Kleber Rocha wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I have two openbsd box with pf as firewall, with heavy load I get this error
> on message:
>
> Mar 24 19:13:29 fw01 /bsd: WARNING: mclpools limit reached; increase
> kern.maxclusters
>
> But, both firewalls crash, How can I fix this?
>
> Thanks
>
> My sysctl.conf is configured like this:
> kern.maxfiles=65536

Why are you bumping maxfiles on a firewall?

> # Multipath
> net.inet.ip.multipath=1
>
> # carp
> net.inet.carp.allow=1
> net.inet.carp.log=1
> net.inet.carp.preempt=1
> #net.inet.carp.arpbalance=1
>
> net.inet.tcp.recvspace=262144
> net.inet.tcp.sendspace=262144
> net.inet.udp.recvspace=262144
> net.inet.udp.sendspace=262144

This is not doing what you think it does. Especially the UDP ones.

> net.inet.tcp.keepinittime=150
> #net.inet.tcp.keepinittime=10
> net.inet.tcp.keepidle=14400
> #net.inet.tcp.keepidle=30
> net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=150
> #net.inet.tcp.keepintvl=30
> net.inet.tcp.rstppslimit=100
> #net.inet.tcp.rstppslimit=400
> net.inet.ip.redirect=1
> #net.inet.ip.redirect=0
> net.inet.ip.maxqueue=300
> #net.inet.ip.maxqueue=1000
> kern.somaxconn=128
> #kern.somaxconn=256

Wow, you're pushing a lot of buttons here that should not be pushed unless
you absolutly know what you are doing.

> net.inet.ip.ifq.maxlen=256

On fast systems this can normaly increased by factors of 2-4 to improve
performance.

> kern.maxclusters=262144

Why do you think that you can increase this value by a factor of over 40?
The warning is:
> Mar 24 19:13:29 fw01 /bsd: WARNING: mclpools limit reached; increase
> kern.maxclusters
Increase, it is not multiply! You may double the number maybe
more if the warning happens again but a factor 40 will run your system out
of memory. Also try to figure out where all that memory is going. I bet
into the socketbuffers.

You twiddled your system into death.
--
:wq Claudio