On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 06:38:26PM +0200, Claudio Jeker wrote:
> On Mon, Oct 17, 2005 at 12:00:38PM -0400, stan wrote:

> > > <config stripped a bit>
> > >

> > > That is not the config you pasted before. You are running OSPF
> > > over carp here. This is nuts and will not work. You can not run any kind
> > > of routing protocol over carp without major issues! If you have two
> > > routers in front of a common network use carp towards that network and
> > > OSPF to connect the two routers to the backbone.
> > > If one router fails ospf will take care and adjust the routing table.
> > > Currently I think you need to use "redistribute static" for that setup or
> > > wait a couple of days till I fixed something.
> >
> > Ah, in retrospect this makes sense. So the "externa;" interfaces on these 2
> > machines don't need carp ata all. But I will still need it on the "insid"
> > as the machines on the internal network just have static routes in them.
> > So. I guess the gateway machines should each advertise their "real"
> > interfaces in the ospfd.conf file? Or should that be their carp interface?
> >

> Currently it does not matter because the result is the same. In near
> future the state of the interface should be considered before announcing
> it -- this is done for redistribute connected but not for stub networks.
> If both routers announce the same network with the same metric it is not
> fully defined how traffic will flow. In case of ciscos it will do per flow
> round robin over the two routers and this may cause some issues. So to fix
> this issue you should add an additional metric 50 or so to the internal
> interface on the backup router. Like:
>
> area 0.0.0.120 {
>       interface fxp0 {
>               auth-type none
>       }
>       interface carp1 {
>               passive
>               metric 50
>       }
> }
>
> In that case the backup is less preferred and so routing will be directed
> directly to the master. This helps especially pfsync.

Yes, I was trying to think that part through. This makes sense. Thanks.

> > > As I said before don't run ospf over carp. It will not work. You can use
> > > it fot the inside network but not for the one connected to the backbone.
> > >

> > So, my ospfd.conf file should look like this?
> >

> > # areas
> > area 0.0.0.120 {
> >     interface fxp0 {
> >             auth-type none
> >     }
> >     interface carp1 {
> >             auth-type none
> >             passive
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > Or would this be better?
> >
> > # areas
> > area 0.0.0.120 {
> >     interface fxp0 {
> >             auth-type none
> >     }
> >     interface fxp2 {
> >             auth-type none
> >             passive
> >     }
> > }
> >
> > The "external" interface is fxp0, and the internal one is fxp2. The
> > internal carp is carp1, and the outside one (carp0) will go away.
> >

> I would use the carp1 interface. As soon as we make stub network
> announcements dependent of the link state fail over will be more smooth
> and will also track some cases that are currently unhandled.

ne more question if I might. please.

Now I get this startup message:

phfw1# ospfd -d
startup
rde: new announced net 0.0.0.0/0
rde: new announced net 170.85.106.128/25
rde: new announced net 170.85.106.143/32
rde: new announced net 170.85.113.0/25
rde: new announced net 170.85.113.99/32
rde: new announced net 192.168.254.0/24
orig_rtr_lsa: area 0.0.0.120
orig_rtr_lsa: stub net, interface carp1
orig_rtr_lsa: stub net, interface fxp0

Just to confirm I should not be announcing the 192.x network even though I
see this message, right?

--
U.S. Encouraged by Vietnam Vote - Officials Cite 83% Turnout Despite Vietcong
Terror