I'm using pfsync to keep state between two OpenBSD 4.7 firewalls running on soekris devices. The problem is that it seems to work erratically. My test is to download a large file via HTTP from a server behind the firewalls and then reboot the master firewall and once that comes back up, the backup, and repeat. Sometimes the file transfer dies immediately on the first reboot and sometimes it survives a full cycle of reboots or more.

Is my test faulty? I just want to verify that state sharing is or is not working, instead I find it works in an unpredictable manner. I have seen the same results in a virtual test environment and with multiple devices in different environments.