On 03/26/11 12:11, Brynet wrote:
Hi Scott,

I have a Mobility Radeon HD 4200, indeed, xf86-video-ati in base lacks 2D/3D&
XVideo acceleration.

Compiling a newer version of the radeon DDX driver "works for me", trying the
obsolete "radeonhd" driver is also an option (..I found it unstable).

So far, 6.14.0 works.. 6.14.1 does not (X server segfaults).

Hi Bryan,

I tried the new driver you suggested and with light testing it works quite well.

For "standard" apps (firefox, thunderbird, amarok), and mplayer with regular def and HD it's just fine. mplayer with 1080p is slow, but since I only have a handful of vids at that resolution, I'm not too concerned.

In other words, it's good enough and I'm far better off than I was yesterday, so thank-you very much for your suggestion! :D Later, I might give 6.14.1 a shot just for giggles.