Otto Moerbeek wrote:

To access the tape, you need to be root or be in the operator group.

        -Otto
I am in the operator group. I didn't know that obsd would recognize a device hooked to an external scsi port, so that is the first hurdle. There are some jumpers I do not yet understand, and switch on the back which (apparently) sets the device's scsi id number. I am pretty sure the cable is good, and that it is properly terminated as it was hooked to a Novell server and used regularly not long ago. There is also a boot time scsi config utility for the scsi card, which is set to the defaults.

Now I know what should be happening. Thanks for all the input, on and off list. I'll post the solution.
Steve