On Thu, 31 Mar 2011 12:46:06 +0200
Otto Moerbeek wrote:

> > In general, the default values and algorithms for allocations could
> > probably do with a tune-up, since of course today's disks are several
> > magnitudes larger than only a few years ago (let alone than those that
> > were around when the bulk of the file system code was written!), and the
> > usage patterns are also in my experience often wildly different in a
> > large file system than in a smaller one.
>
> We do that already, inode density will be lower for newly created
> partitions, because diskalbel sets larger block and fragment sizes.

When creating filesystems with a partition containing many small files
like one containing Maildirs. Is it a good idea during installation to
set frag-size in disklabel to 1024 in order to automatically increase
the number of inodes as oppose to simply using newfs -i 4096? Or would
it reduce performance for larger files unnecessarily.

I was also expecting -g avgfilesize flag to affect the number of inodes
but it doesn't and it is useable with tunefs. Would anyone mind
telling me what affect it has?

Thanks,

Kc