On 04/27/11 08:27, Kent Watsen wrote:
>> Maybe you should tell us what happened and what you were expecting.
>
> I saw the check-in which stated that it was being turned on to see what
> response there is, which is all I'm doing...
>
> When installing on a system only having IDE-based drives, I was
> expecting to not be prompted, since I don't believe it's easy for the
> boot drive change location.  But I realize now that some flash card
> adapters present themselves as an IDE device, which makes them as
> portable as my USB pen drive.

Your imagination doesn't go very far :)

ever add an IDE or SATA card to a machine that was working Just Fine
before?  It could be a lot of "fun".  Even with DUIDs, it will take a
bit of adjusting of drives and/or boot ROMs sometimes.

I used to manage a machine which archived e-mail, it would fill its
available disk space every few months, and we'd take one (of many) sets
of disks out and put another in.  While superficially an easy task, the
shuffling of cables for the three PCI SATA cards to the six drive packs
was annoying and time consuming to get right...and we did it that way
because it was a LOT easier than using the two onboard SATA ports plus
two off-board, since nothing numbered the way we wished.  Would have
been nice to have had this feature then.

Nick.