On 18/10/05, Ray Lai <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> On Sun, Oct 16, 2005 at 09:00:16PM +0300, Antti Harri wrote:
> > I have two USB printers, is there a way to assign
> > a fixed device name instead of device name being
> > assigned dynamically? If it's not possible at all,
> > are there plans to implement it?
>
> If it's not possible at all, how does one go about implementing it?

It's perfectly possible. I took few minutes yesterday afternoon to
toss together a little perl script to mount my various USB drives
correctly:
* My iriver matches "umass\d.+ iRiver iRiver" and mounts on /iriver
* My lexar jumpdrive matches "umass\d.+ LEXAR JUMPDRIVE" and mounts on
/auto/jumpdrive
* My FireLite external 80GB matches "umass\d.+ FireLite" and mounts on
/auto/firelite
* anything else is ignored.

It's a little rough right now, and to add new devices and mountpoints
you need to edit the script. I may tidy it up in the future to use a
config file, but right now it works for me. To other writing such a
script: use the device class and name passed to you by hotplugd, and
fetch other bits of information from dmesg and usbdevs.