On 2011-05-04, ropers <rop...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I'm considering whether to try to get a graphics/pen tablet for
> GIMP/graphics design and stuff.
>
> Are there any OpenBSD users out there who currently use a graphics
> tablet with OpenBSD?

Yes, daily as my main pointing device, works fine and much better for
my wrists than a mouse (or trackball which was a complete disaster!).

> Grepping the archives, I found this: http://mongers.org/openbsd/graphire4
> However, it dates back to 2005 and refers to the usbtablet(4) driver
> which disappeared between OpenBSD 4.3 and 4.4:
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=usbtablet&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+4.3&arch=i386&format=html
> http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/man.cgi?query=usbtablet&apropos=0&sektion=0&manpath=OpenBSD+4.4&arch=i386&format=html

Using that as a reference, xterm(1) also disappeared ;-)

> If on the other hand someone did know how to currently get graphics
> tablets to work, and maybe even could recommend a (preferably very)
> inexpensive (but not shite) device that works well with OpenBSD, that
> would be super grand.

I'm using an old wacom cte-430, think the marketing name was graphire3.
It's only small but perfectly ok for my needs. If you have to make a
choice between small+good or large+cheaper, unless you absolutely
need the large size (e.g. tracing plans), compromise on size rather
than quality.

Wacoms are good (and no battery in the stylus) but if you use one
regularly, get a spare stylus, they don't break often but when they
do it's usually at the most annoying time.

Here are relevant looking sections from my xorg.conf:-

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "w_stylus"
    Driver "usbtablet"
    Option "Type" "stylus"
    Option "Device" "/dev/uhid0"
    Option "Mode" "Absolute"
    Option "Threshold" "10"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier "w_eraser"
    Driver "usbtablet"
    Option "Type" "eraser"
    Option "Device" "/dev/uhid0"
    Option "Mode" "Absolute"
EndSection

Section "ServerFlags"
    Option "AllowMouseOpenFail" "True"
    Option "DontZap" "True"
EndSection

Section "ServerLayout"
    Identifier     "X.org Configured"
    Screen      0  "Screen0" 0 0
    InputDevice    "w_stylus" "SendCoreEvents"
    InputDevice    "w_eraser" "SendCoreEvents"
EndSection

Section "InputDevice"
    Identifier  "Mouse0"
    Driver      "mouse"