On Sun, 08 May 2011 21:48:25 +0200
Erik <o...@vanwesten.net> wrote:

> You are aware that this question concerns following -current? And
> that you are strongly advised to follow the FAQ when building
> -current as others already pointed out?

"Building from source. Got error after kernel reboot."
"Dude, rtfaq! Kernel and userland out of sync. Build base and reboot..."

Uhum. Sure that's a way to approach this.
That's the supported way. With that ammount of "support" required.
Fine with that.

On the otherhand, i have been running -current for years and never have
had any problem with building source with the previouse kernel (without
reboot) that i can remember.
Maybe my 3 digit amount of builds isn't enough or i built at the wrong
states of the tree.

So let me rephrase, ...

Follow the FAQ and do it that way, because then you can come to the
list and ask. (Like OP did.)

So take my "just build base without rebooting" as personal advice.
Never said anything about this being the project endorsed way.
But it works for me, maybe it does for you, too...

Don't come asking for help onlist, if you didn't follow the faq thou,
might lose you karma. Just try again as the faq says and ask after that.

Even if something breaks in the worst way because of not rebooting,
simply updating with a snapshot will get you back on track.

Concerning remote-updates, "from source" will run into more problems
than "from a known good set of tarballs". That's simple statistics,
because of how many binarys are involved.
(remote console access helps, but still might mess up your sla.)