On Tuesday 18 October 2005 17:32, OpenBSD Admin wrote:
> I'm curious,
>
>     there seems to be some unwritten rule that users (not to be confused
> with developers) are not allowed to ask whether certain things are
> supported in OpenBSD or when these items are likely to be available, in
> particular this seems to be on the misc@ mailing list. The openbsd site
> states;
>

>     The Mailing Lists
>

>       General Interest Lists
>
> These lists are of interest to most users of OpenBSD.
>
> *misc*
>     User questions and answers, general questions. This is the most
>     active list. Please, read the FAQ
>     <http://openbsd.org/faq/index.html> and the installation documents,
>     and see How to report a Problem <http://openbsd.org/report.html>
>     before posting.
>

> So where does one post questions *after* having read the FAQ etc
>

> If I was a developer I'd be posting to the tech@ list woudln't I.
>

> Theo ?

I'm not Theo, but you should understand some of the philosophies
behind OpenBSD before asking a lot of questions.  You can start
to understand that by reading the mailing lists.  I know is isn't
exactly simple, but that and reading the *entire* OpenBSD web
site is a great start.  The web site has a lot of wonderful stuff in
it, not to mention the FAQ, which I try to re-read twice a year.

You can determine to nearly 100% the support of something by
looking at the suported hardware pages.  I'm guessing you are
using some i386 machine, and there is a *great deal* of information
on the cards and devices supported.  Looking there has just about
always told me what I needed to know.  Subscribing to the CVS
change list tells me what new stuff is going into the tree, which
also helps.

As for when something goes into the tree, there is no "master
plan".  Theo doesn't sit there dictating what should be done,
but does steer things in general directions, but not at the cost
of doing other things.  An example would be the great additions
of wireless cards in 3.7.   People step up and do things.  I daresay
Theo does not "know" what will happen in terms of development;
he'll encourage folks on items, but he doens't know where
developers come from--they just appear and do stuff.

This is why "When is the frombatzle device going to be supported?"
is such an aggravating question.

--STeve Andre'