On 20/05/2011, at 12:27 PM, Dave Anderson wrote:

FWIW I've encountered several ASUS notebooks which panic during boot
(in aml_parse or parse_aml, I can't remember which is correct); since

aml_xparse

these are store demo machines I don't have any good way to capture the
detailed information (I'm booting from a USB stick and saving the dmseg
to the stick.)  If there's some small amount of information that can be
gotten without any additional hardware, etc, and would help diagnose
these problems, I'll write it down and report it if someone tells me
exactly how to get it.  The panic info is long enough that some of it
scrolls off the screen.

        Dave

I've tried such a laptop, booting from usb stick does indeed fail as
you describe, however booting from the install cd (4.9 release) works
just fine.

Disabling acpi will allow the system to boot from the usb stick.

paulm