I have changed /etc/rc to ask me at boot time whether I want to
start xdm, gdm, or a console. (Adding kdm presumably wouldn't be
too hard.) This is because OpenBSD/powerpc apparently does not
support multiple wsdisplays, hence it is not possible to run X.org
and a console at the same time. However, I do not always want
X.org. Often, I'd much rather have a console. Unfortunately, X.org
doesn't work quite right if started from the console; the keyboard
is all screwed up. This script allows me to pick at boot time
whether I want to run X.org or a console.

Entering x or xdm will start xdm. Entering g or gdm will start gdm.
Anything else will start a console.

I do not believe my script is quite right. If I start gdm or a
console, there's an error at shutdown about rc being exited
abnormally. Also, the login console will ask what terminal type
after login. Entering vt220 works. Nevertheless, I hope someone
else will find this useful.

Here are the original lines:

# Alternatively, on some architectures, xdm may be started in
/etc/ttys.
if [ X"${xdm_flags}" != X"NO" -a -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ]; then
        echo 'starting xdm...';         /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
${xdm_flags}
fi

Here are my new lines:

# Alternatively, on some architectures, xdm may be started in
/etc/ttys.
if [ X"${xdm_flags}" != X"NO" -a -x /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm ]; then
        echo -n "Do you wish to run (x)dm, (g)dm, or a (c)onsole?\n"
        read GRAPHICAL
        if [ $GRAPHICAL = "x" ] || [ $GRAPHICAL = "xdm" ] ; then
                echo 'starting xdm...';         /usr/X11R6/bin/xdm
${xdm_flags}
        else
                if [ $GRAPHICAL = "g" ] || [ $GRAPHICAL = "gdm" ] ;
then
                        echo 'starting gdm...';
/usr/local/sbin/gdm -nodaemon
                else