On Fri, Jun 03, 2011 at 06:11:31PM -0400, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
> On Tue, May 31, 2011 at 6:51 AM, Marc Espie <es...@nerim.net> wrote:
>
> > How comes nobody in other OSes noticed ? Well, people probably did, and
> > tweaked their allocators to "work", by using preferably the low address
> > space,
> > and having addresses that increase slowly, so that a lot of pointers are
> > below
> > 4GB, and a lot of pointer diffs are under 4GB.

> Or you could just be engaging in an ad hominem attack without actually
> looking at their implementations and assuming they're not doing it
> right because they're not you or your favorite platform. But hey, we
> don't know anyone who'd do *that* in the OpenBSD community. Right?

Wrong.

An ad hominem attack would require me asserting all this for a fact, which
is not what I'm doing. Notice the "probably" ? it makes all the difference
in the world.

Now, up to you. What explanation do you have for those problems not being
that visible on other 64 bit platforms ? That is, other than their mmap
not being very random and stuff tending to group together near the low end
of the address space...

Waiting for a good explanation here.

Do you think we make problems just to make other OSes look bad ?

No, we encounter problems, and we do our best to fix them.

In my personal experience, most of the time, those problems are bugs in
apparently portable software.  In the case at hand, we already fixed several
issues with some programs. All of them related to some very dirty assumptions
about memory...