On Thu, Jun 2, 2011 at 8:34 AM, David Vasek <va...@fido.cz> wrote:
> On Thu, 2 Jun 2011, Nico Kadel-Garcia wrote:
>
>> GNU tools have become the industry standard, for a stack of reasons.
>
>> I've had similar issues with the "cp" command, and its lack of "cp
>> -a".
>
> I've had similar issues with pax(1) command missing from systems based on
> "GNU industry standard", and their lack of "pax -rw".
> But why should one care about POSIX if we can choose to follow that great
> "GNU industry standard" now.
>
> Regards,
> David

I've got my Fedora 15 testing environment open in front of me for
other reasons. "pax -rw" works fine. Where is that feature not
available?

Note also that POSIX compliance does not say you *can't* have a
feature. Frankly, I'd love to see POSIX include these features for
"cp" and "tar" for their next updated standards. It would make
cross-platform work notably easier, especially for backup utilitiies
like Amanda and rsnapshot (both of which I've done on UNIX and Linux
systems).