> When I press the power button on an x86 PC, acpibtn(4) receives the
> event and shuts down the machine.

that is a absolutely needed thing to have. this functionality does a
smooth shutdown without need for fsck on restart. i have depended on
this feature whenever i test something, and the machine hangs for any
reason whatsoever. hasn't happened much but it si a lifesaver whenever
it has happened (fsck problems on bigmem machines a couple of months
ago, vmmap testing etc).

> When I press the power button on my Blade 100 (sparc64), power(4)
> receives the event and by default ignores it.  Only if the
> machdep.kbdreset sysctl is set to 1 will power(4) proceed to shut
> down the machine.
>
> I don't have a preference either way, but this is inconsistent.
> Either acpibtn(4) should also be protected by a sysctl, or power(4)
> shouldn't.

this should be a sane default (i.e halt & power off on power button
press) if acpibtn() is protected by sysctl. Windows gives you a choice
and so does Linux buried somewhere in control panel/center.