Eventually I also picked up a Sweex SC015 card.  (These are readily
available in Europe at the time of writing.)

cmpci0 at pci1 dev 2 function 0 "C-Media Electronics CMI8738/C3DX Audio" rev
0x10: ivec 0x7d5
audio1 at cmpci0
opl at cmpci0 not configured
mpu at cmpci0 not configured

Playing stereo audio at 44.1 and 48 kHz over S/PDIF works.  The
relevant mixer knob is this:

  playback.mode=dac  [ dac spdif ]

Set to "spdif" for S/PDIF output, "dac" (default) for analog output.

This particular card also has a two-pin "CD S/PDIF" header.  If you
have an optical drive with a two-pin "digital audio" output, you
can connect it to the card, and then enable a by-pass mode where
audio from the drive is directly output to S/PDIF without the CPU
having to read any data.  The mixer controls involved are these:

  spdif.input=spdin1  [ spdin1 spdin2 spdout ]
  spdif.output=playback  [ playback spdin ]

Set spdif.input=spdin2 to select the CD input and spdif.output=spdin
to direct it to the card's S/PDIF output.

Strangely, AC3/DTS pass-through does *not* work.  Neither for normal
playback with MPlayer, nor for a DTS CD using the S/PDIF by-pass.
My A/V receiver just remains silent or reports a decoding error.

--
Christian "naddy" Weisgerber                          na...@mips.inka.de