I want to replace my current firewall (Compaq DL360) with something smaller, quieter (preferably fanless), and less power-hungry. It is currently only NAT'ing my home network, which is about 10 clients. I have a 15Mbps/1Mbps cable internet connection, with D-Link Gigabit switches on the internal network. I want to add QoS and Squid with ad and content filtering to the replacement. I may want to add a dedicated network for wireless clients in the future.

I'm looking at Soekris net5501, Alix2d13, or a mini-itx atom board. I'm sure the Atom would have enough CPU, but I don't know how much overkill it would be. Will the Soekris or Alix be enough CPU to add QoS and squid with ad and content filtering to a basic NAT box?

I'm familiar with PXE installations, so no worries there for installing on either the Soekris or Alix boards.

Have a great day!
Nick