On 27 June 2011 14:40, Peter Hessler <phess...@theapt.org> wrote:

On 2011 Jun 27 (Mon) at 14:32:47 +0200 (+0200), Anand Buddhdev wrote:
> :My scenario is that I have a small Soekris board running an older OpenBSD
> :(installed on a CF card).
> :
> :I'd like to upgrade to a newer OpenBSD without overwriting the current
> setup
> :(to use as a fallback in case something is wrong with the new install).
>
> Buy two CF cards.  This way, you can even install and test without
> touching the currently running system.

Hi Peter,

Yes, that's also another option we can (and do) use for some systems. I'm
just amazed that the OpenBSD boot loader can't be configured (by default) to
boot off another partition.

Anyway, from all the answers here (some of which are rather preachy and
evangelical: "don't do this"), I've gathered that what I am asking for isn't
possible. That's ok. I'll just fall back to some of the other options we
have (new CF card, swapping partitions in the disklabel), all of which work.

Thanks everyone for taking the time to answer my question.

Regards,

Anand