On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 8:16 PM, J Sisson <sisso...@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Mon, Jul 11, 2011 at 6:58 PM, Juan Miscaro <jmisc...@gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> On 7 July 2011 15:06, jirib <ji...@devio.us> wrote:
>>
>> Are you kidding? Ubuntu? Where installed daemons are running by default,
>> > where there is no command to disable shitty upstart daemons?
>>
>> Which daemons are those again?
>>
>> apt-get install <some_insecure_daemon>
>
> Oh look, <some_unsecure_daemon> is running before I have a chance to
> configure it and lock it down the way I see fit.  <sarcasm>Good thing we
all
> know those Ubuntu/Debian guys are so damned smart and all...</sarcasm>

Far too many daemons are installed by default on Ubuntu. It's a "give
people everything they might desire some day" approach, rather than a
"keep it stable by giving them only what they need and ask for".

This is particularly evidenced by plethora of 3rd party repositories
with fascinating components that are easily merged into Ubuntu, and
require more manual integration and local compilation with OpenBSD.
And the reliance on older, stable, well-debugged components makes
leading edge development of Java and web apps more awkard in OpenBSD.

But OpenBSD is vastly more secure and avoids craziness such as
NetworkManager and 3 million useless and poorly implemented web
proxies and "chat" servers.