On Thu, Aug 11, 2011 at 11:18:05AM -0600, Jeff Ross wrote:
> >>2011-08-11 10:20:34.701069500 auth.info: sshd[20129]: Address
> >>71.37.181.185 maps to heinlein.openvistas.net, but this does not map
> >>back to the address - POSSIBLE BREAK-IN ATTEMPT!

<cut>

> Yes, that was it.  I'd changed the name of the remote server in
> /etc/myname but left it in /etc/hosts and the order is lookup file bind.
>
> Thanks!
>
> Jeff

It would be cool if this OpenSSH message was a bit more verbose to what
the forward lookup sees.  But it doesn't look as cool as POSSIBLE BREAK-IN
ATTEMPT, and likely creates confusion with round-robin addresses.  In your
case the problem was not debuggable with dns lookups alone because you used
a hosts entry.  Either way the message, to me, shoots up adrenalin levels
with little reasoning behind it.  So you got Adrenalin, Confusion or stupid
looking error messages, pick two. :-)

Cheers,
-peter