On 2011-08-18 21.16, Dave Anderson wrote:
> I've been looking at a bunch of notebook dmesgs (i386, single processor)
> recently and have noticed that the value reported for 'real mem' is
> almost always much lower than the amount of memory actually installed.
> A typical example is
>   OpenBSD 5.0 (GENERIC) #39: Mon Aug  8 14:53:43 MDT 2011
>       dera...@i386.openbsd.org:/usr/src/sys/arch/i386/compile/GENERIC
>   real mem  = 2900148224 (2765MB)
>   spdmem0 at iic0 addr 0x50: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-10600 SO-DIMM
>   spdmem1 at iic0 addr 0x52: 2GB DDR3 SDRAM PC3-10600 SO-DIMM
>
> I understand that i386 cannot see more than 4GB due to architecture
> restrictions, but even allowing for that well over a gigabyte has
> vanished here.
> A quick look at the code that generates this number shows that it's
> skipping various areas reserved by the BIOS, etc., but the total amount
> being skipped seems absurd.
>
> Is there really supposed to be this much reserved space, or is something
> wrong?

The most likely culprit is your graphics adapter. Nowadays video memory
of 512 MB - 1GB seems to be more norm than exception, and it has to co-
exist with the processor's memory in the 32 bit addressable space.

Use amd64 instead and you'll likely get all your memory back, and since
you seem to be running a recent snapshot you'll have no 4GB barrier to
cope with either.

/B

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,