On 2011-08-30 19.27, frantisek holop wrote:
> i dont get it why are people so upbeat about the in-tree apache.  it's
> basically on life-support.  it has no place on any publicly facing
> webserver that handles more than a handful of connections.  it's
> computing history with an awful xml/not-xml bastard configuration
> language.  even the 2.2/2.4 lines are being seriously left in the dust
> by the newer alternatives.
> yes, it has local changes but badly architectured software will
> still have a flawed architecture even after a security audit.
> it's not like there are no reasonable alternatives.  nginx for example
> has a nice security record and a 2 clause bsd license.  but as it's in
> the ports i personally dont care if it's in base or ports.  sendmail and
> apache are really the only things in openbsd base that baffle me
> everytime i cross paths with them.  they represent everything the
> openbsd philosophy refuses.
> the old apache doesn't bother me either btw.
> but for dog's sake stop talking about it as viable alternative for
> serving web content in the 21st century.  there is no good reason to use
> apache 1.3, be it the openbsd audited one or any other variant.

While I agree completely that the in-tree apache is neither fresh nor
particularly fun to work with, I strongly disagree on the notion that
"it has no place on any publicly facing webserver that handles more
than a handful of connections".

I'm running it on about a dozen servers, all facing the big, bad, ugly
internet, and they are performing flawlessly. The most active one serves
about 7.5 million php requests per 24 hours, without even breaking a
sweat.

And the fact that I'm sleeping well at night without worrying whether
or not I've forgotten to install the latest security patches or anything
like that more than well makes up for the fact that it might not have all
the latest bells and whistles. :-)

Regards,
/Benny

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,