On 09/02/11 22:06, ropers wrote:
I'm at the point where one of my old machines' hard drives is giving
up the ghost and I'm trying to do this:

THE FOLLOWING FILE SYSTEM HAD AN UNEXPECTED INCONSISTENCY:
                ffs: /dev/rwd0k (/home)
Automatic file system check failed; help!
Enter pathname of shell or RETURN for sh: /bin/ksh
# fsck /dev/rwd0k
** /dev/rwd0k
** Last Mounted on /home
** Phase 1 - Check Blocks and Sizes ((Btw: Is making Mounted, Blocks and Sizes
lowercase diff-worthy?))
PARTIALLY ALLOCATED INODE I=132
CLEAR? [Fyn?]
What does the "F" stand for here? Yes, no, or what?
I even tried to grasp the source, but after noncomprehendingly staring
at /src/sbin/fsck_ffs/utilities.c, I still don't think I get what the
F either stands for or does. I did ponder whether it might stand for
"[F]ree = clear the inode", but if that's so, then why is there
another choice to "[y]es= clear the inode"? I don't think I get it.
The lights are on, but there's no one home upstairs.

Cluebat lartings welcome.

Thanks and regards,
ropers

PS: The machine in question still has OpenBSD 4.6 on it, but the same
prompt is in the old source just as it is in the new one, so the
version oughtn't matter for the purposes of explaining the F in the
"[Fyn]" prompt:
http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/src/sbin/fsck_ffs/utilities.c?rev=1.35;content-type=text%2Fplain;only_with_tag=MAIN

PPS: Also, my googling was inconclusive.

from man(1):

  If neither of the -y or -n options are specified, the user may force fsck
to assume an answer of ``yes'' to all the remaining questions by replying
     to a question with a value of ``F''.

--STeve Andre'