On Tue 2011.09.06 at 18:46 -0600, Daniel Melameth wrote:
> I'm trying to put one xterm in a different autogroup.  This xterm's
> relevant properties (via xprop) are:
>
> WM_CLASS(STRING) = "xterm", "XTerm"
> WM_NAME(STRING) = "largexterm"
>
> The relevant portion of my .cwmrc is:
>
> autogroup 1     "xterm,XTerm"
> autogroup 3     "largexterm,XTerm"
>
> With this, largexterm is always put in autogroup 1.  What am I missing?

Hi,

cwm uses application "name" and "class", ("xterm", "XTerm")
respectively.  WM_NAME can change at any point, for example the title of
a web page can change WN_NAME on a browser window, and a shell can
change WM_NAME while doing something, and so forth; really it's the
"title".  This is not a value on which we base grouping.  It might be
confusing that the atom is named WM_NAME while WM_CLASS includes app
name and class, which are different properties.

Hope that's more clear.

Cheers,
Okan