On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 10:37 AM, Christian Barthel
<b...@nyx.user-mode.org> wrote:
> On Sun, Sep 11, 2011 at 07:12:36AM -0400, Jeffrey Walton wrote:
>> Hi All,
>>
>> OpenBSD specific reading for installing GNOME is a bit hard to come
>> by, and README and INSTALL don't mention GNOME, so please forgive the
>> basic questions.
>>
>> I think GNOME is either fully installed or partially installed (I'm
>> not sure if I hung in AddDelete.pl at Avahi*). I issued 'pkg_add
>> gnome-desktop gnome-session'. After reboot, a window manager does not
>> appear to start. 'startx' results in a desktop with wallpaper, and
>> nothing more (I find it less useful than an X session with a
>> terminal).
>>
>> Concerned about a corrupt install of Avahi, I tried to reinstall with
>> 'pkg_add -D installed gnome-desktop gnome-session'.
>>
>> I did come across http://www.techonia.com/install-gnome-openbsd. But I
>> don't believe the fellow writing told the full story (though he offers
>> screen shots). For example, he did not 'chmod +x .xinitrc', so I'm not
>> sure he stuff should even work.
>>
>> Is anyone aware of a [comprehensive] GNOME HowTo for OpenBSD?
>

> hello,
> i followed this tutorial:
> http://www.gabsoftware.com/tips/installing-gnome-desktop-and-gnome-display-manager-on-openbsd-4-7/
Ah thanks. Its about the most comprehensive I have seem (Google
results must be really polluted with SEO, and/or I am a very bad
grepper).

His instructions almost did it - I was still getting that damn XTerm.
After I selected Session -> gnome.desktop (even though gnome.desktop
is the default), I was prompted if I wanted to make it default and it
worked.

Thanks again for the link.

Jeff