Bachman Kharazmi wrote:

>> > So a script that sync one of the clients from server, and then all the
>> > other clients can sync from that up2date client.
>>
>> Are we still talking about diskless clients?  Why on earth would you
>> synchronize them over the network, so that they have to perform NFS
>> reads
>> and writes to effect the changes?
> yes, the whole doc is about diskless clients. when having a diskless
> environment one need to keep all account related stuff synced, that
> includes passwords group etc..

Yes, but why would you sync files from the clients, with all the network
traffic that entails, rather than running it locally on the server?  If
accounts are to be synchronized, why wouldn't you use something like yp,
LDAP, etc. to share accounts rather than transmit master.passwd files over
the network?

> other things that need to he synced in such env is time.

Yes, but that doesn't require separate per-client files.

My point is that for a lot of situations where "diskless clients" come up
as a potential solution, a single RO filesystem can reasonably be shared
across clients for most things.
--
 Matthew Weigel
 hacker