On 14 October 2011 05:25, Stuart Henderson <s...@spacehopper.org> wrote:
> On 2011-10-13, Christiano F. Haesbaert <haesba...@haesbaert.org> wrote:
>> On 13 October 2011 17:45, Timothy Baldock <t...@entropy.me.uk> wrote:
>>> I'd recommend the Areca cards, they are expensive but worth the money IMO
>>>

>> I see, and I agree, but have in mind I pay around 100% taxes :(.
>>

> How important is raid5? The simpler raid1 mpi(4) / mpii(4) cards
> are much cheaper, and raid1 is easier to get your data out of when
> the card blows up...

Starting to get less important, I wanted to have a 4x1.5tb storage
using raid5, but with the money I'd spent I can get a cheaper raid1
and more disks, or just more disks and forget about raid.
The price I'd pay for an Areca gives me more 3x1.5tb disks.

> Don't get hung up on looking for a controller with the word "sata"
> in the name, the sas controllers are generally fine with sata drives,
> there are various HP/Dell/LSI SAS controllers that will work fine,
> some of which are quite easily ebay'able.

I had a look on the lsi megaraid 83XX, they're more affordable, I'll
see what I can get.

> Make sure you get cables, they don't always come with the card
> (even new ones).

Thanks