On 2011-10-18, James Hozier <guitars...@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I heard that since 4.9, there has been some changes to the
> /dev/randoms in OpenBSD. I'm unsure of what the changes exactly
> are, but for confidentiality in terms of entire hard drives (talking
> terabytes of SATAII hard drives), would /dev/srandom still be the
> best suitable for this task? Last I remember, /dev/arandom was much
> too slow since I could not do enough on my computer to create enough
> entropy to randomize my disks before an entire year passed, heh

If you are *that* concerned about securely wiping hard drives you
should probably just physically destroy them. If you need more than
/dev/zero can provide you are obviously concerned about people with
physical access to the platters from reading old data, in which
case you also have to take reallocated sectors into account, which
you can't clean from the OS.