I'm not agree,

Using PF, and only PF, we can feed a table using some parameters and it is
filtered on one/several ports.

PF can't detect Network scan like nmap or ... So it is why i use scanlogdb
(it is in the OpenBSD Ports).
And some people use Snort also for this kind of things.

PF is a good firewall, we can play with QoS/IP,Ports filter/NAT/ Src NAT/
Statefull/Load Balancing/scrub
But it is not a NIDS. ;-)

All the best,

Wesley M.