I'm trying to run OpenBSD 4.9 (amd64) under VMware vSphere 5 (ESXi 5).  I
set up four virtual machines with one core, 256 MB of RAM, and 4 GB of disk
space each.  I used the install49.iso as my installation medium.  Aside from
the OS installation, I haven't installed anything on them yet.

They perform terribly.  The load average hovers around 1.5 on all of these
VMs although the CPU shows as being idle.  Connecting via SSH and switching
to root can take over a minute.  If I reboot the virtual machines they
perform well for a short time, but within 15-30 minutes they slow down to a
crawl again.

These four machines are spread across two VM hosts, each with six cores and
16 GB of RAM each.  I haven't started doing anything with these VMs yet.   I
have other VMs installed (Linux and FreeBSD) and they don't have this
problem.

Has anyone else experienced this problem?  Is there tuning I can do to make
it work better?  I tried disabling mpbios, that did not have an effect.

Thanks.

-Gene