On 2011-10-31 00.32, VICTOR TARABOLA CORTIANO wrote:
> I have to use raw sockets for a college assignment. I basically
> have to code a simplified FTP client of sorts to connect 2
> machines. No IP nor TCP involved by definition. The specification
> for this assignment is similar to the Kermit protocol, if anyone
> is familiar with that.
> I wonder if any of you have some good material to point me at.
> Most tutorials are for Linux (and I will be the first ever in
> make this assignment in OpenBSD!)
> The man pages are awesome, but I was looking for some material
> that would point me at the right direction from a beginner's
> point of view.
> I've read the sockets, recv and send man pages, I would be glad to
> hear what other man pages are important for this project.

The definitive work on anything sockets-related is, I believe, still
W Richard Stevens' excellent book UNIX Network Programming, volume 1.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/0131411551/

Perhaps it's a bit pricey for a student, but if you can get hold of
a copy then that (and volume 2) will be all you'll ever need. :-)

Also, if you are serious about UNIX programming, you'll absolutely want
his Advanced Programming in the UNIX Environment as well.

Oh, I just noticed that you can still buy copies of the first edition
of UNIX Network Programming:

http://www.amazon.com/UNIX-Network-Programming-Richard-Stevens/dp/0139498761/

That's an even better buy. It contains most of what's relevant from the
two newer volumes, AND it contains the third volume about applications
that Stevens never finished before he died in 1999. The newer edition
has way more detail and is better as a reference, but you can't beat the
first edition for educational purposes.

Ah, bummer, the first edition doesn't cover raw sockets, so it won't help
you in that regard. But it's still one of those rare technical books that
you can easily read cover-to-cover (only to find out in the end that the
butler didn't do it - it was the server!).

Regards,
/Benny

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,