On 11/11/11 04:34, carlopmart wrote:
> On 11/11/2011 03:48 AM, Nick Holland wrote:
[bla bla bla]

> Thanks Nick. growfs suites my needs. Is this the correct procedure??
>
> http://wiki.arpnetworks.com/wiki/ResizeOpenBSDRootFilesystem

"the correct procedure" is a big phrase. :)
It's _A_ procedure, and for some people, it may be right.  I'd not bet
that the ramdisk file system on bsd.rd has the space available to pull
over growfs on all platforms.  And I don't like the step-by-step without
the discussion of why.  Your needs will probably be different from the
author's, or mine, so make sure you understand, and if it is important,
practice on a non-critical machine first.

growfs has to be used on an idle file system.
If your goal is to enlarge root (or /usr, or /var or ...), you need to
be running in a strange mode -- single user with / unmounted, bsd.rd,
booted from another file system, etc.

Personally, I'd boot off my live USB disk, but since growfs is a static
binary and based closely on newfs, it will probably run just fine from
bsd.rd, so one could potentially boot from bsd.rd, mount / somewhere,
mount /tmp (or whatever) elsewhere, save a copy of growfs to this other
file system, unmount /, then do your twiddling.  Exactly how you do this
will depend on your environment.

but again...when messing with your file systems, errors can be really
bad, so rather than asking my or google's advice...build up a test
machine, and practice on that before you do it on a production box.

Nick.