>> Well, if you feel like untangling the dependency nightmare that comes with
>> modern desktop systems, good luck !
>
> Yes, the dependency chain for "modern" desktop is quite complex.
> In our packages (at least for GNOME related stuffs) we are trying to find
the good balance so that most expected functionnality works out of the box.
> The drawback of this is that we have to enforce some dependencies sometimes,
but it is either that or we end up like Debian and have 15 packages created
out of 1. This would end up in a complete nightmare wrt maintainability and
users would need to know exactly which -libs, -common... package they need to
install to make something work.
> But do note that unlike most Linux distributions, OpenBSD does _not_ start
any daemon installed from packages by default, the user/administrator has to
explicitely enable it. So on and on, when you end up with avahi in your
dependency chain it is not such a big deal as it will not be started anyway.

IMHO, the situation in OpenBSD is far better than some other distros.
And we don't install as much package cruft as some Linuxes.

Antoine,
does this mean that we have to search for a way to disable automatic
indexing of files which KDE does? that's a daemon/service started by
KDE by default.

thanks