On 18/11/2011, at 12:59 PM, Sam Vaughan wrote:

> Hi,
>
> After upgrading from OpenBSD 4.9 to OpenBSD 5.0, the "Intel 82579LM" and
"Intel PRO/1000 MT (82574L)" devices on one of my servers no longer come up.

<facepalm>

If I'd bothered to compare those two dmesg outputs more closely I'd have
noticed that OpenBSD 5.0 is simply enumerating the two interfaces in the
opposite order.  What was em0 in 4.9 is now em1 in 5.0 and vice versa.  Simply
swapping the cable to the other port and _not_ moving the settings in ifconfig
to em1 fixes the problem.  Sorry for the noise.

By the way, is there any reason why I should prefer the 82579LM to the 82574L
or vice versa?

Thanks,

Sam