>> how "safe" are those two images? would it be ok to run on a production
>> system or should I wait for the official 5.0 stable branch?
>>

> The only time -current is NOT to be trusted is in the middle
> of a Hackathon, where you can watch commits flying in.
> Watch, but wait till its over before you decide to use it for
> anything critical.  ;-)

I would add to this:

1) always fiddle with -current on a identical machine to your current
production machine.
2) if ok then upgrade to that day's snapshot.

usually -current snapshots contain code which the devs want to test.
that is, code cleanups, code reorganisation is done there first. So is
code to bring out hidden bugs, usually if somebody complains nicely,
its fixed within a week or so. Harder to tackle bugs are put in a
informal queue :-) Also almost all devs run -current and some people I
read of run their businesses on -current.

good luck