On 2011-11-19, John Tate <j...@johntate.org> wrote:
> Is this information helpful...
>
> john@rothbard ~$ ulimit -a
> core file size          (blocks, -c) unlimited
> data seg size           (kbytes, -d) 524288
> file size               (blocks, -f) unlimited
> max locked memory       (kbytes, -l) 1354329
> max memory size         (kbytes, -m) 4059940
> open files                      (-n) 128
> pipe size            (512 bytes, -p) 1
> stack size              (kbytes, -s) 4096
> cpu time               (seconds, -t) unlimited
> max user processes              (-u) 128
> virtual memory          (kbytes, -v) 528384
>
> I need to change this one in login.conf or in my .profile...
> max memory size         (kbytes, -m) 4059940
>
> There is no manpage for ulimit.

Crank ulimit -d, or datasize-cur (and datasize-max if necessary) in
/etc/login.conf. The defaults may seem a bit on the low side for a single
user system *but* remember this is a multi-user operating system, so there
has to be a balance between single-user usability and protecting a multi-
user system from excessive user demands making the machine unusable...
(Though I do think that maybe the defaults could be increased by a bit).

Be aware that the Java VM bases its heap size on the datasize limit so
you might *not* want to just crank the system limit to something absolutely
huge, it might be more appropriate to just use a higher ulimit -d when you
start specific programs needing more (netbeans/eclipse etc) - you might
also want to look into restricting the heap size on the java command line,
maybe something like -Xmx256m.