On Sat, Nov 26, 2011 at 7:31 PM, Ted Unangst <t...@tedunangst.com> wrote:
> On Sat, Nov 26, 2011, Luis Useche wrote:
>> For a project I need to single step a user space process while
>> executing the fault handler. I was thinking that probably ddb single
>> stepping can be reused but this is probably for kernel single stepping
>> only. How about ptrace?
>
> I am officially confused because the fault handler runs in the kernel.
> If you want to step through a process then ptrace is what you want, or
> it's slightly easier to use interface, gdb.

The interfaces you are talking about are to single step a user level
process from another user level process. However, I need to single
step in the fault handler the (user level) instruction that just
faulted.

My final goal is to extract the data that the application was trying
to store at the unmapped page by mapping a temporary page.

Luis