On 2011-12-01 16.25, John Tate wrote:
> I'm 24 years old. I was a Linux hacker since I was 13. I am a bit of a guru
> and do my own Kerberos and such on an all BSD/Linux network. OpenBSD and
> Debian Linux. I love OpenBSD, I'm a bit weird because I use bash. I can put
> up with being made fun of. At 13 I didn't just start learning Linux I
> started learning C++ as well. I failed to apprehend it properly at that
> age, but at an older age I relearned it well. I am the guru sort of guy, I
> know a hell of a lot but I'm still connecting it and in that sense still
> learning.

John, just to put things into perspective... I know you've been bashed
quite a bit for the above, as well as for your tendency to ask first
and shoot later, which is good if you're a law enforcement officer but
not so good if you're trying to blend into a knowledgeable community
full of professionals who, frankly, are busy guys.

I, on the other hand, kind of like the cockiness you display above -
self confidence is important in order to succeed just about anywhere
in the world. Don't listen to those who mock you for spelling errors
or for having the confidence to do things and stand up for yourself
- but *DO* listen to those who, without having to, volonteer their
time in order to help you and others on this list and anywhere.

Now for the perspective part.

I, like you, started out young. Got my first computer at age 11, which
was more or less the last my parents saw of me for the next few years
or so. It also got me a good head start into the then emerging computer
industry; by the time I was 17 I landed an internship with a local
unix computer manufacturer due in part to my knowledge of low level
machine language programming (but mostly because my father and the
CEO of that company were buddies...).

By the time you were born, I had about 5 years of unix application,
utility and kernel development experience to add to my five years
of more or less low level hacking in one of the popular Z-80 based
personal computer platforms of the day.

I felt much like you do. I was on top of the world. :-)

I was young and I was *good* at what I did, and I worked in an emerging
field where there were, perhaps, a few hundred people IN THE WORLD doing
what I did at the level I were at.

Well, that was nearly 25 years ago. I'm 45 now.

Since then, I've realized that what I know is not nearly as important as
what I *don't* know.

I'm still constantly learning new stuff - every day I pick up something
new and interesting. I know now what I didn't know then - there is always
someone else who knows this particular part of the equation better than
you. AND I LISTEN TO THEM. Hopefully they listen to me in turn other times
- not because I tell them I'm a guru or whatnot but because I've shown
that I only open my mouth when I know what I'm talking about.

I'm still very confident in my own abilities though, and because of that
I'm good at selling my consulting services to those needing my particular
skill set. Therefore, the confidence and cockiness of youth are not at
all bad traits. You just need to be more aware of other things.

Don't waste time feeling insulted by faceless people on mailing lists -
adapt and overcome! Study the archives, learn from those whose advice have
proven adequate, correct and useful in the past and ignore the trolls and
those who have nothing more useful to share than correcting your spelling
errors. Fight the urge to join the dark, trolly side!

And, wax on. Wax off.

Regards,
/Benny

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,