On Friday, December 2, 2011 15:30 CET, Henning Brauer <lists-open...@bsws.de>
wrote:

> * Sebastian Reitenbach <sebas...@l00-bugdead-prods.de> [2011-12-02 15:22]:
> > On Friday, December 2, 2011 15:04 CET, Kenneth R Westerback
> > <kwesterb...@rogers.com> wrote:

> > > I got lost in the subsequent description of events, and came away with the
> > > impression that while you shuffled the clients and http servers around you
> > > did not change the firewall. Is this correct? If so, upgrading the
> > > firewall
> > > to 5.0 or -current is the easiest action likely to improve performance.
> >
> > thanks for your answer, and sorry if my writing were not clear enough as I
> > hoped it to be, I try to clarify:
> >
> > One test was with a Linux Web Server behind the OpenBSD 4.4 firewall here
> > in Germany.
> > When I download from the Linux VM in Canada, then I get about 2MB/s.
> >
> > The other test is with a desktop, not behind the OpenBSD 4.4 Firewall, with
> > two harddisks.
> > One with Linux OpenSUSE 11.2, one with OpenBSD 5.0. This desktop is
> > directly connected to the 155MBit Internet line, parallel to the firewall.
> > Downloading on the Linux VM in Canada from the OpenSUSE 11.2 box, I get
> > around 2.6MB/s, just switching the Harddisk on the desktop
> > and downloading from the OpenBSD 5.0 I only get around 1.5MB/s.
> > So in this case, the 4.4 Firewall is not involved at all.
> > I'd at least hoped to get the same speed with the OpenBSD 5.0 like I get
> > using Linux, so about 2.6MB/s.
> >
> > hope its more clear now.
>
> well, you actually found the answer yourself. if your em is running at
> 100M the 10MByte/s download is superb. Why it isn't going to gig - dunno.

Yes, Its also not my main concern, I guess, with a different card, I'd also get
the full 155MBit like I get with Linux in this case.
I was just curious if someone knows why this card doesn't make GigaBit on
OpenBSD, therefore appended dmesg...
But as said, its not my main problem.

> your other issue is wasting time, electrons, energy and whatnot with
> calomel.org garbage.
>
> if someone feels like he could do the broader community a favor, track
> down whoever runs that site and at least ask him to remove that
> network tuning on openbsd page. or better all pages he has about
> openbsd - all garbage, bad advice, plain wrong, you get the idea.

OK, I got it, forgetting about calomel.org.
At least with older OpenBSD releases, there were the recvspace, and sendspace
to tune the buffers used for the networking. Especially for the high bandwith
and high latency case, they improved things for me in the past.

So when I understand you right, there are no knobs anymore I can tune?
Also the FAQ: http://www.openbsd.org/faq/faq6.html#Tuning says, it should not
be necessary for most of the cases, as it states:
VERY FEW people will need to adjust any networking parameters!

But since with Linux, I get about 1MB/s more throughput on the overseas
connection. Since the FAQ did not stated, there are no knobs,
I was hoping there might be something I can tune for my use case?
If someone can say for sure, there is no knob I can tune, then I'll take it as
is.
If there is someone who could explain, why its slower on OpenBSD, so that I
could understand what the problem is, then I'd like to hear about it, and I'd
be happy.
Well, not as happy as if I would be able to get the same throughput from the
OpenBSD box ;)

thanks,
Sebastian