* Stefan Johnson <tigerphoenixdra...@gmail.com> [2011-12-07 20:53]:
> I want to thank everyone that replied.  I have gone to google for
> information about openbsd, i386, pae, and similar.
> I see that there was a talk done back in 2006 or so about PAE on i386.  I
> see some old old old threads about
> it working, not working, working again, not working again, breaking amd64
> and so on.  I see several mentions of
> "just turn on the option" but "the option" they mention isn't listed in
> "man 4 options" (I686_PAE) and I see nothing
> about PAE when I do a "config -e -o /bsd.pae /bsd.mp" to try to enable this
> with config.  I do see the file "pmapae.c"
> in the src folder, but I have no idea how to utilize it since I've not
> build a custom kernel since I first picked up
> OpenBSD (2.9) many years ago.

OpenBSD does not have any PAE support.

The fact that some bits are in the source tree doesn't have much to do
with it. See it as hints for a developer who wants to pick up the PAE
work. But since most i386 machines with >4G are amd64-capable and this
not being something easy I don't see that happening.

--
Henning Brauer, h...@bsws.de, henn...@openbsd.org
BS Web Services, http://bsws.de, Full-Service ISP