On 2011-12-07 20.47, Eric Oyen wrote:
> the question is: how can I forward the install screen via ssh to another
> machine on my network? I ask this because I didn't see any specific
> instructions that applied. my issue right now is that I need a sighted
> assistant to read me the screen and help with  installing the base system (and
> setting up ssh).
> I would like to run the install like from a serial port output (like the old
> spark pizza boxes) but none of my current machines have a serial port to do
> this on.

As others have noted, that's unfortunately not possible with the way the
system boots. Your best bet would probably be to grab a cheap PCI (or what
kind bus your system has) serial port board that's capable of running as
COM1 and then running the install from a serial port.

Either that, or moving the root disk from your target machine to another,
running, system and doing the install in a virtual machine on that host.
You'd have to do a little leap of faith from then on of course, and hope
that it will boot properly when moved back to its original environment.

You'd probably want to enlist the help from someone first in order to get
a dmesg from the system and check what network device(s) it has, so that
you can set up the correct network interfaces blindly in the virtual
environment (assuming it can't emulate that particular network hardware).

Regards,
/Benny

--
internetlabbet.se     / work:   +46 8 551 124 80      / "Words must
Benny Lofgren        /  mobile: +46 70 718 11 90     /   be weighed,