On 2011-12-19, Rudolf Leitgeb <rudolf.leit...@gmx.at> wrote:
> Am Montag, 19. Dezember 2011, 13:52:40 schrieb Henning Brauer:
>> gotta compromise for crippled systems. solvable with a little shell
>> script run from cron and rc.shutdown.
>
> Wait: your solution would be to periodically remount some volume
> read/write, merge the changes and then drop back to ro ? You aren't
> serious, are you?

mount -uw /, edit edit edit, mount -ur /. I do this all sorts of places,
have done for 10+ years, it works well.

I still setup serial console wherever I can possibly get it though -
if I have a crashing kernel I want to be able to reach ddb. If I break
routing/IP addressing or miss a necessary syntax change, I want to be
able to fix it.

>> I don't buy the "countless" at all, we're really only talking embedded
>> here, and for embedded style use cases you'll have to adopt. that is
>> the "special" case and not the norm.
>
> Embedded systems with configurable settings are a "special case"?
> Where were you during the last 10 years?

Embedded is a special case for a general-purpose OS.

How many manufacturers of these devices would even consider using
standard system startup scripts?