On 2011-12-27, I wrote:
> There were some DoS protections added which limit the number of
> results that can be returned from a glob, it is to do with total
> filename lengths iirc. I see this a lot in package snapshot

If you're looking for this, the limits are in src/libc/gen/glob.c;
the first limit you're likely to hit with ftpd is GLOB_STAT; I'm not
sure what a good value would be but 128 is clearly too small.

> directories. If you want something good that will handle more
> files, try pureftpd (it's in ports).

note _pure_ftpd (not proftpd, which is not in ports for good reasons
regularly documented at your favourite vulnerability database).