On 2012-01-05, Jiri B <ji...@devio.us> wrote:
> On Thu, Jan 05, 2012 at 01:12:43AM +0000, Stuart Henderson wrote:
>> What's the advantage in having /etc on mfs? Why not just remount /
>> readonly after booting and mount it read/write when you need to make
>> changes? If you're looking at something more than this then take
>> a look at how flashboot does things but I'd only consider that in
>> special cases..
>
> As I'm not building super-small embedded appliance the flasboot is
> not optimal.
>
> I wanted to separate service from (not much important) data thus I
> installed OpenBSD on little usb stick and dedicated normal disk
> for my own data (mp3, source repo, etc...). If the disk would go
> down, no problem, dns/ssh/pf etc would still work OK. (I'm ignoring
> here discussion if the problem is more disk or power supply.)
>
> So why /etc on mfs? Maybe I'm thinking that always remounting rw /
> because little changement of a config file would be too much work when
> computers could do that for us invisible in background :) (If it
> would not crash before sync, of course.)

On this type of system I just do "rw;vi /whatever;ro" where rw/ro are simple
shell scripts that run "mount -uw /" and "mount -ur /" respectively, I don't
usually find this a problem.

Or you could use a wrapper which does similar and commits the edited file
to a version control system (though I usually handle version control on
this type of box by pushing the files from another machine to avoid having
checkouts all over the place).