On 2012-01-12, Sam Vaughan <samjvaug...@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a web server handling predominantly https traffic sitting on a DMZ
> behind a CARP'd firewall of two ALIX 2D3s.
>
> Since the firewall is NATting traffic to the web server, the source IP of
> requests arriving at the web server is always the firewall's CARP address on
> the DMZ.

Do you really have to NAT the source address? That is unusual,
most people just use rdr-to which only touches the destination address.

> I'd like the server to see the original client IP.
>
> The only solution I can think of is to use relayd, pound etc. as a layer 7
> reverse proxy on the firewall that decrypts the SSL and inserts an
> X-Forwarded-For header.

BTW, relayd can also do transparent forwarding (i.e. maintaining the
source address in the packets), even with SSL offload.

http://www.mail-archive.com/misc@openbsd.org/msg102364.html