Hi Jason,

Jason McIntyre wrote on Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 01:01:50PM +0001:
> On Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 11:57:34AM +0100, Ingo Schwarze wrote:
>> Jason McIntyre wrote on Sun, Jan 15, 2012 at 08:28:29AM +0000:

>>> ok, so perhaps the diff below will avoid future confusion.

>> I agree with adding that information and don't strongly object
>> to your wording, but given that fw_update(1) is just a wrapper
>> around pkg_add(1), some might consider it slightly misleading:
>> there is nothing wrong with using pkg_add(1) itself for updating
>> firmwares, as long as you specify the right PKG_PATH and options.

>>> +A separate utility,
>>> +.Xr fw_update 1 ,
>>> +is used to update non-free firmware packages.

>> Since non-free firmware packages are distributed via separate
>> package repositories, the convenience wrapper
>> .Xr fw_update 1
>> is normally used to update them.

> hmm. i would argue that it's more rightly fw_update(8)'s place
> to go into that level of detail, not pkg_add(1).

The pkg_add(1) manual does talk about PKG_PATH later on,
so mentioning that a specific class of packages has their
own repository doesn't seem off-topic when specifically talking
about those packages.

Besides, when documenting one tool and pointing to another one,
mentioning that the latter is just just a wrapper around the
former wouldn't qualifiy as excessive detail in my book.

But feel free to decide, lest the bikes get all soaked!

Yours,
  Ingo